I developed a formula very similar to the NFL QB rating, for running backs, which takes into account rushing yards, rushing touchdowns, receiving yards, receiving touchdowns, and fumbles. I used the data of the top 50 running backs from the 2001-2010 NFL seasons (found at Sports-Reference) to develop my formula. Since we're dealing with running backs, not wide receivers, I weighted rushing 87% and receiving 13% (based on rushing making up approximately 87% of the total touches for players in my data set.) The minimum score a player can receive is a zero, and the maximum is 100. My formula was designed to give an "average" (based averages from the data) player a score of 66.6 (So 2/3rds will be below and 1/3 will be above).
After a few failed attempts, oversights, and adjustments, I found some numbers that I was pleased with (the averages of the data earned a score of 66.25047...I'll go ahead and round). I've included my formula at the end of the post for anyone interested.
Now, comes the fun part. There are a number of running backs who are in the discussion as the "Greatest of All-Time": Jim Brown, Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders, Walter Payton, Gale Sayers, among others. I wanted to see who (according to the formula) is, in fact, the greatest of all-time. Now, I know that there are some factors which are not included in the formula (and can't actually be quantified); with that being said, I'm just interested in people's relative ratings.
So, here's how folks came out:
Jim Brown: 94.8
Gale Sayers: 92.5
Barry Sanders: 84.7
OJ Simpson: 84.6
Marcus Allen: 73.7
Walter Payton: 73.5
Eric Dickerson: 69.5
Emmitt Smith: 65.7
Earl Cambpell: 65.3
According to this formula, Jim Brown is the Greatest of All-Time, followed closely by Gale Sayers. An interesting illumination (as much as it pains me to say this as a Cowboys fan) is that Emmitt Smith, the NFL career rushing leader, has only a slightly above average rating for his career, indicating that he was good, not great, and just hung around a long time (which is a credit to his toughness...not measured here).
I'll move on to looking at ratings for active players, and ranking the greatest single seasons of all time. In the meantime, I welcome your comments...


No comments:
Post a Comment